Monday, May 16, 2005

Crowbar, The Asshole

A few weeks ago I was standing outside a conference centre having a cigarette with a pile of other people. It was a beautiful day, sun shining, warm, in a busy downtown core. A man approached us, clearly homeless - bearded, filthy, alcohol-thin - with his hand outstretched;

"I'm hungry. Do you have any money? I'm starving." His tone was mewlish, resentful.

People around me shifted uncomfortably. He smelled worse than any human I've ever inhaled, and he seemed frustrated and angry already. I did a quick pat down of my pockets to see if there was any money in them (there wasn't) and said regretfully, "Sorry dude, I got nothin'."

He was already turning to the next person before I finished the sentence, but he said, as he did; "No, I got nothin'."

Fucker put me right in my place and it was fully deserved.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home