Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Who's In Charge Of This Ship, Anyway?

Mission Update - Received from HQ Tuesday July 5, 2005 at 1700hrs:

Hi all, Cult Abandon here....

I know, I'm not usually the one sending you off communiques and updates, but we're running on a bit of a skeleton crew this week at Headquarters. Believe it or not, we somehow managed to get both Crowbar and Cake to take a week off. As you can imagine, without Crowbar around to be corralled, controlled, appeased, bailed out and cleaned up after, we require only a nominal staff presence to keep Headquarters in good shape. Crowbar (and her daytime alter-ego, Cake) in a shocking display of forethought, booked time off in order to allow me some time to craft some top-notch propaganda to recruit more unsuspecting souls into the Resistance Force. Crowbar has retreated to parts unknown to break things (she wouldn't tell us where but when she left she was whistling and had a whole lotta guns with her, so I'm guessing it involves target shooting) and Cake claims to be relaxing and enjoying some downtime out of pager range.

[Note: Cake isn't fooling anyone. She thinks we don't know it, but she's actually haunting the corners of Headquarters and moping around in the stairwell, trying to make sure no service users "need" her. The staff keeps shooing her off, but she continues to sidle back again, asking every crew member on their way in or out whether we've checked her office messages or not. The girl needs help.]

As for me, I'm a little amazed at the degree of organization around here. Usually I have to wait until the staff, Crowbar, and Cake are done with our main systems terminal before I can get anywhere near it. This generally means I churn out all our propaganda, media, analyses, speeches and presentations somewhere between 2 and 6 a.m. It's a longstanding pattern, albeit a bit annoying, but Crowbar just ignores my pleading for actual allocated time and growls out gutteral commands to 'get in line'. It could make a girl feel kind of under-valued, to tell the truth.

This time around, however, they all cleared out, left me some staff and a relatively tidy HQ, and full access to the Crowbar Resistance Force Mainframe in order to try to cobble together a work of art to sway the international masses. And am I using this opportunity to fullest advantage, you ask? Well, I'm sad to say that the last 5 days - all of which have been scheduled for writing for well over two months - have been entirely occupied by the simple day-to-day machinations of running a Resistance Force. Meaning: No. I haven't written a word. Well, correction...not a word of what I'm supposed to be writing - I've been throwing together a shitload of other stuff though, and would be feeling pretty good about it if it had anything to do with our current Mission Objectives.

But that's all about to change, friends and neighbours. We have one more Operatives meeting tonight, and from there on in, it's all about the propaganda. Well, from there until Friday, anyway. I'm sure nothing else will come up to distract me, right? Right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home